Thursday, August 11, 2005

Yes, Lord, Yes.


As I've mentioned before in this space, I follow the Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan from NavPress. My [ESV] Bible reading last night had a single thread running through each of the passages I was scheduled to read. They conspired against me:

The words of Jesus in Mark 16:10-13:

"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little, is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

The words of Paul in 1 Timothy 6:17-18:

"As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life."

The words of Solomon in Proverbs 10:2-4:

"Treasures gained by wickedness do not profit, but righteousness delivers from death. The LORD does not let the righteous go hungry, but he thwarts the craving of the wicked. A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.

Clearly, the Lord is sending me a message: I need to re-evaluate how I think of money, and how I use it. I admit to him that I have not been a faithful steward of the resources he's blessed me with, I "have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth." I need to change. May his grace be upon me. May he fulfill this resolve for good (2 Thess. 1:11). I have not hoped in him alone, but have relied on God plus other things to bring happiness and contentment, which really means I have not relied on him at all. I have sinned against him. He is the single most valuable treasure in the universe, and I trade him away for a few measely posessions and meals and vacations! So, by his own grace, I say: 'Yes, Lord, Yes. You're right."

No comments: