Friday, September 07, 2007

Genealogy












Dr. James Parker, Professor of Worldview and Culture at SBTS, distributes the following in his classes. I added my name to the list.

The Distinguished Genealogy of the Students at
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Showing a direct line to John Calvin (1509-1564)

JOSH NEISLER, a student at Southern Seminary, who in the summer of 2007 was a student of:

DR. JAMES PARKER III, who is a graduate of Princeton Theological Seminary. While a student at Princeton, he sat at the feet of:

DR. BRUCE METZGER, who as a graduate of that seminary (class of 1933), was a student of:

DR. JOHN ALEXANDER MACKAY, who was also a graduate of the seminary (class of 1915), was a student of:

DR. BENJAMIN B. WARFIELD, who was also a graduate of the seminary (1876), being a student of:

DR. CHARLES HODGE, a Princeton Seminary graduate (1819) who, for many years, sat at the feet of:

DR. ARCHIBALD ALEXANDER, who was the pupil of:

WILLIAM GRAHAM, a graduate of the College of New Jersey (Princeton University) in the year 1773, and as such, was under the tutelage of:

DR. SAMUEL STANHOPE SMITH, who was himself tutored in the same College by:

DR. JONATHAN EDWARDS, JR., who obviously sat at the feet of:

JONATHAN EDWARDS, the third president of Princeton, being educated at both Yale (A.M., 1773) and as an apprentice to his grandfather:

SOLOMON STODDARD, of Northampton, Massachusetts, who was educated at Harvard College (A.B., 1662) at the feet of:

DR. CHARLES CHAUNCY, an immigrant to this country, having been trained at Trinity College, Cambridge University, at the feet of:

ARCHBISHOP JAMES USSHER, the celebrated Hebraic scholar who was a pupil of:

WALTER TRAVERS, the Puritan divine at Christ's College, Cambridge (an associate of Thomas Cartwright and William Perkins) who traveled to Geneva to come under the instruction of:

THEODORE BEZA, the heir of the Reformed movement of his mentor and friend:

JOHN CALVIN.

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

That is great. :)

I'm so honored to be married into a such a revered genealogy!

MadMup said...

That is really, really cool! I wish more genealogies like this were kept!

Name: Karen said...

Fascinating. Truly--how thankful to be for such a rich heritage.

Josh said...

I remember how impressed I was with myself when I first got that list from Dr. Parker in Philosophy. My little bubble popped when I learned that Crossway wouldn't publish me no matter who my anscestors were...

Anonymous said...

I think someone might be missing between Charles Hodge and John Alexander Mackay. My guess is Warfield.

Still, very cool.

The Tiffinian said...

Bookpress,
Thanks. You were right--an unthinkable omission!