Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Glory of Christ

Read these words from Charles Spurgeon two days ago:

"Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
~ Matthew 11:28

I want to pick out just this one thought, - the glory of Christ, that he should be able to say such a thing as this, - the splendour of Christ, that it should be possible for him to say, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." These words, from the mouth of any other man, would be ridiculous, and even blasphemous. Take the greatest poet, the greatest teacher of philosophy, or the greatest king, and who is he, with most capacious soul, who would dare to say to all the labouring and heavy laden ones in the whole human race, "Come to me, and I will give you rest"? Where are there wings broad enough to brood over every sorrowing soul, except the wings of Christ? Where is there a harbor capacious enough to hold all the navies of the world, to give refuge to every tempest-tossed [ship] that ever crossed the sea; - where, but in the haven of the soul of Christ, in whom dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead; and, therefore, in whom there is room enough to spare for all the troubled children of men?

No comments: