Friday, February 10, 2006

The Fruits of Intramural Squabbling

Fundamentalist pastor Jason Janz, of sharperiron.org fame, caused a stir recently in the evangelical blogosphere with a string of posts criticizing the producers of the movie End of the Spear for casting the homosexual actor and activitst Chad Allen to play martyred missionary Nate Saint. Today, as I was sitting in the waiting room at the optometrist's office, I saw that a quote from Janz appears in the Verbatim section of the February 13 issue of Time magazine:




I must say that I wasn't thrilled by the filmmakers' choice either, but I don't understand why Janz felt compelled to mount a campaign criticizing the decision. The fruits of his labors: the world picks up on an intramural squabble, evangelicals look like morons, and we give the world another reason NOT to believe our good news. Nice job.

No comments: