Friday, July 08, 2005

SermonAudio.com

A great place on the web for free mp3 sermons is SermonAudio.com.

They've got an interesting cross-section of old-time evangelicals and fundamentalists, including A.W. Tozer, Harry Ironside, D.L. Moody, A.J. Gordon, Billy Sunday, A.W. Pink, and others.

Needless to say, some of these guys minsistered before sound recording of sermons was common, so some of the files are recently-recorded readings of their sermons.

Just now I'm listening to a sermon by A.W. Tozer called "What is it to Accept Jesus?" In part, he says:

What about this easy acceptance? I say it's been fatal to millions. [They say] 'Accept Christ and your troubles are over, accept Christ and you're saved.' That's true, but it's presented in a manner that's untrue very often, because it makes the whole attitude wrong.

It puts Christ in an attitude standing hat in hand awaiting our pleasure, forgetting that He is the sovereign Lord and that he by a snap of his finger can turn worlds out of being or bring worlds into being...he is the sovereign Lord, second person of the Trinity, and he waits hat in hand for no man.

It's not what I think of him but what he thinks of me that's the most vital, fatal question that I can ask myself. What does Jesus Christ think of me and what is my relation to him? Always remember that instead of his applying to us [for acceptance], we apply to him. Instead of a Christ waiting meekly and modestly like a paperboy outside waiting for his quarter, Jesus Christ stands in his tall majesty, and you and I will either bow to him and accept him in the right sense of the word or we'll turn away and leave him forever.

No comments: